I added a few lines to a script that I use to build my task list, and for the first time ever, I opened a file with code in it, added a feature, tested it, and it worked. Here’s the code with enough context so it makes sense (explained later if you don’t want to spend the time parsing it:)
ARG=`echo "$@" | sed -r 's/\s*\-[c|p|s]\s*//g'` WIKI_DIR="`echo $ARG | cut -d " " -f 1`" if [ "`echo $ARG | cut -d " " -f 2 | grep -c /`" = 1 ]; then TODO_PAGE="`echo $ARG | cut -d " " -f 2`" elif [ "`echo $ARG | cut -d " " -f 2 | grep -c $EXT`" = 1 ]; then TODO_PAGE="$WIKI_DIR/`echo $ARG | cut -d " " -f 2`" else TODO_PAGE="$WIKI_DIR/`echo $ARG | cut -d " " -f 2`.$EXT" fi
This is from the section of the script that processes the arguments and options on the command line. Previously, commands were issued such that:
ikiwiki-tasklist [-c -p -s] [DIR_TO_CRAWL] [OUTPUT TODO FILE NAME]
My goal with the options was to have something that “felt like” a normal command with option switches and had a lot of flexibility. The two fields that followed: however, I didn’t provide as much initial flexibility. The directory to crawl for tasks (i.e. “[DIR_TO_CRAWL]”) was specified the way it is now, but the output file was 1) assumed to have an extension specified in a variable at the top of the script, 2) automatically placed the output file in the top level of the destination directory.
It worked pretty well, but with the advent of a new job I realized that I needed some compartmentalization. I needed to fully use the tasklist system for personal and professional tasks without getting one set of items mixed in with the other. Being able to have better control of the output is key to having full control over this.
The modification detects if the output file looks like a path rather than a file name. If it’s senses a path, it creates the task list in the path specified, with no added extension. If a file name specifies the extension, then you won’t get ”.ext.ext” files. And the original behavior is preserved.
I’m a hacker by inclination: I take code that I find and figure out how to use it. Sometimes I end up writing or writing code, but I’m not really a programmer. My own code, at least until recently has tended to be somewhat haphazard and until now (more or less) I’ve not felt like I could write code from scratch that was worth maintaining and enhancing in any meaningful way.
Apparently some of that’s changed.
I’ve made a few additional changes to the scripts, but most of these feel more trivial and can be described as “I learned how to write slightly tighter shell scripts. so if you’re using it you might want to update: the ikiwiki tasklist page is up to date.